Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hot Hot Heat

So, we already know that "Hot Hot Heat" is a great band (and if you don't, you should definitely check out their stuff). BUT what you didn't know, is that HotHotHeat is also a great kind of Yoga. Most know this as "Bikram Yoga", which is when a series of asanas [yoga for newbies translation: poses] are done in a heated room (usually about 100 degrees or a little higher I believe). I have always wanted to experience this kind of yoga, but never really took initiative on it back at home in Jersey. However, since I've got some time on my hands over here, I made it a point to do some exploring.

What I found on my mini-adventure is a place called Hot House Yoga, a few blocks off of Colley Ave in Norfolk. I took my first class yesterday for a full 90 minutes. It was intense, super-sweaty, and exactly what I needed. I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to up the anti in their daily yoga practice, or to my fellow hardcore gym rats back at home who may have shied away from Yoga because they insist on sweating up a storm.

I can tell you that personally, I felt immediate benefits during and after my practice. The hot temperature might be a little overwhelming at first, but I found that it really helped me stretch that extra mile. Afterwards, I found I was able to breathe deep and the air felt super clean (This is an automatic plus if you have asthma like me!).

You also get a little yoga 101 with a lesson on chakras. For example - I bet you didn't know that the chakras closest to your core resonate your relationships with family and others. Talk about a new reason to do an extra set of crunches during your next workout. Plus, the candle light and background music create a nice added ambiance and that's not even the best part. The BEST part, is that if you're a resident, you can get a week free for $10. Lucky for me, I am conveniently a resident of Norfolk for about 6 more days so it's pretty much perfect. I'm telling you, at the end of one class you will feel happy, relieved, and ridiculously disgustinglywonderful (Note to Self: bring a change of clothes).

In other news, I have about a week left here in Norfolk. Have I told you how in love I am with this town? I actually feel I might run into Lorelei and Rory Gilmore one of these days.

Til next time,
Namaste`

No comments:

Post a Comment